Ring-necked Pheasant, Brown Pelican ; Saturday July 22nd.

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
      There were two female type Ring-necked Pheasants in the vegetation next to the mudflats in the most northerly pond at the Ukiah Treatment Plant.

      Floating around with the gulls and ducks on Lake Mendocino seen from the south parking area was a lost Brown Pelican.

      JRW

    • Ortiz Family
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
        Jerry

        I just got back from helping the Brown Pelican you mentioned near the south boat-ramp at Lake Mendocino. The sheriff's department called this afternoon concerned about a Pelican that had been seen since 5:00 am this morning tangled in fishing line. I grabbed all the tools I thought I would need- the most important, being my good-natured husband (Who else is willing to help me capture this big beaked bird that no one else on the lake would touch). Thank goodness for my husband who accompanies me on these rescues (he calls these outings "Honey Do Errands").

        One of the Park Rangers took my husband out on a jet boat to the point where the pelican was, and since my husband is much more agile that I am, he was the one who got into the water and captured the bird. I've learned through experience that where there is fishing lines there are also fishing hooks, and this case was no exception; there was a very large lure with 4 of its 6 hooks embedded in the skin on the underside of the bird's wing. I was able to cut the hooks with wire cutters and pull them out of the skin with needle nosed pliers, and with scissors was able to cut the fishing line that was tangled tightly around the one wing and body. I gave the bird a quick exam and could not palpate any fractures. We loaded the bird up in a large kennel and took him to Mendocino Vet Hospital where Dr Robert's administered fluids, antibiotics and a little pain reliever (nothing to make him groggy). We drove the bird back out to the busy lake where Sheriff Officers Mike McBride and Scott Poma were waiting for us and took us by boat out across the lake to a quiet area where we re-released the bird. It was great to see the bird be able to stretch his wings and flap them.

        I wondered if we should have driven him to the coast but it was getting late in the afternoon. I sure hope this bird can now find his way to wherever he belongs. Please let me know if you see him again.

        Cathy Ortiz

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2005
          We could see the bird was in distress but did not see the fish lines.
          Congratulations on the dramatic rescue.

          Jerry and Nikki White
          > I just got back from helping the Brown Pelican you mentioned near the
          south boat-ramp at Lake Mendocino. The sheriff's department called this
          afternoon concerned about a Pelican that had been seen since 5:00 am this
          morning tangled in fishing line. I grabbed all the tools I thought I would
          need- the most important, being my good-natured husband (Who else is willing
          to help me capture this big beaked bird that no one else on the lake would
          touch). Thank goodness for my husband who accompanies me on these rescues
          (he calls these outings "Honey Do Errands").

          > One of the Park Rangers took my husband out on a jet boat to the point
          where the pelican was, and since my husband is much more agile that I am, he
          was the one who got into the water and captured the bird. I've learned
          through experience that where there is fishing lines there are also fishing
          hooks, and this case was no exception; there was a very large lure with 4 of
          its 6 hooks embedded in the skin on the underside of the bird's wing. I was
          able to cut the hooks with wire cutters and pull them out of the skin with
          needle nosed pliers, and with scissors was able to cut the fishing line that
          was tangled tightly around the one wing and body. I gave the bird a quick
          exam and could not palpate any fractures. We loaded the bird up in a large
          kennel and took him to Mendocino Vet Hospital where Dr Robert's administered
          fluids, antibiotics and a little pain reliever (nothing to make him groggy).
          We drove the bird back out to the busy lake where Sheriff Officers Mike
          McBride and Scott Poma were waiting for us and took us by boat out across
          the lake to a quiet area where we re-released the bird. It was great to see
          the bird be able to stretch his wings and flap them.

          > I wondered if we should have driven him to the coast but it was getting
          late in the afternoon. I sure hope this bird can now find his way to
          wherever he belongs. Please let me know if you see him again.

          > Cathy Ortiz

          July 22nd.

          > There were two female type Ring-necked Pheasants in the vegetation next
          to the mudflats in the most northerly pond at the Ukiah Treatment Plant.

          > Floating around with the gulls and ducks on Lake Mendocino seen from the
          south parking area was a lost Brown Pelican.

          JRW

          these addresses:

          Service.

          these addresses: