Re: [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18 8:26 AM
      Art and other Mendo birders,

      Your MOBL with young is pretty interesting. Does anyone know of confirmed
      breeding records from Mendocino County? For my records, was that on July
      13 or 14?

      Thanks,

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
      1655 Heindon Road
      Arcata, CA 95521
      707-822-7201 (phone)
      707-822-8136 (fax)
      John_E_Hunter@...

      "Arthur Morley"
      <agmorley@hotmai To: mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
      l.com> cc:
      Sent by: Subject: [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge
      Mendobirds@yahoo
      groups.com

      07/15/2005 04:43
      PM

      On July 13 & 14 I drove Etsel Ridge, the first time there for me. I went
      as
      far as Spruce Grove and camped there. My birding experience was similar to
      that of Matthew's 12 days before. The richest area was Spruce Grove and I
      was there from 4:30 pm to 10:30 am.

      New Mendo. birds for me at Spruce Grove were: White-headed Woodpecker (near

      the wet meadow,
      north and down the hill from the camp area), Mountain Chickadee, female
      Mountain Bluebird with juvenile (near the road that continues east from the

      camp). I watched the birds for a few minutes and clearly saw the blue in
      the wings and tail, but no hint of rusty on the back or breast of the
      female.

      Another new
      county bird was Green-tailed Towhee with juvenile right in the camp.

      As had Matthew, I heard no owls, but there was a Mtn Quail calling down the

      slope to the east in the morning.

      In addition to birds, there is an abundance of mtn wildflowers blooming,
      including two species of wild orchid. Also, many butterflies.

      Art Morley

      these addresses:

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
        Hello,
        We took our first drive up Etsel Ridge Road Thursday. We got off to a
        late start, so we missed a few target species. . . but, we will return!
        We only encountered four other vehicles the entire time (so, mid-week
        trips are good, if you can take the time).
        Highlights included watching a family of 4 MOUNTAIN QUAIL as they
        crossed the road. This was 10:50 AM, 4.7 miles up M1 from the Eel
        River Campground, still outside the National Forest.
        We also saw a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, 28.5 miles from the Eel R.
        Cpgd. The road got quite rocky there, so we headed back north.
        Also, in a spruce grove near Grizzly Flat, we saw HAMMOND'S
        FLYCATCHER, lots of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, NASHVILLE &
        HERMIT WARBLERS, and many Red-breasted Nuthatches and
        Dark-eyed Juncos.
        Thanks to Toby, Art and George for their help.
        ---- Karen & Jim Havlena
        Fort Bragg