Unknown bird

  • leetasun
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2005
      This sighting goes back to late Spring but I've just learned of your
      group. I'm hoping someone will know what kind of bird I saw at my
      birdfeeder here in the Pine Mtn. area of Willits. The bird had an red
      hood that was almost irridescent. The pronounced hood reminded me of
      a male Junco. It was a little larger and more plump than the pine
      siskins, purple finches and goldfinches that were feeding at the same
      time. It's body and wings were smooth buffy grey brown color - once
      again reminding me of a Junco. It had little or no streaking on it's
      wings or body. It's beak was narrow like a Cassin's finch. It had a
      silver colored band on it's leg. I'm completely stumped.