Etsel Ridge

  • Jack Booth
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
      July 2 & 3. I drove to Spruce Grove with Austin and Mimi Booth. At the
      camp used by the Peregrine Audubon group in the 1990's we heard three
      flammulated owls one west of the wet meadow on the ridge, one SE of the
      camp and another further to the east of camp. Austin also got video of
      white-headed woodpecker going to and from it's nest hole. Jack Booth
    • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
        Art and other Mendo birders,

        Your MOBL with young is pretty interesting. Does anyone know of confirmed
        breeding records from Mendocino County? For my records, was that on July
        13 or 14?

        Thanks,

        John E. Hunter
        Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
        1655 Heindon Road
        Arcata, CA 95521
        707-822-7201 (phone)
        707-822-8136 (fax)
        John_E_Hunter@...

        "Arthur Morley"
        <agmorley@hotmai To: mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
        l.com> cc:
        Sent by: Subject: [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge
        Mendobirds@yahoo
        groups.com

        07/15/2005 04:43
        PM

        On July 13 & 14 I drove Etsel Ridge, the first time there for me. I went
        as
        far as Spruce Grove and camped there. My birding experience was similar to
        that of Matthew's 12 days before. The richest area was Spruce Grove and I
        was there from 4:30 pm to 10:30 am.

        New Mendo. birds for me at Spruce Grove were: White-headed Woodpecker (near

        the wet meadow,
        north and down the hill from the camp area), Mountain Chickadee, female
        Mountain Bluebird with juvenile (near the road that continues east from the

        camp). I watched the birds for a few minutes and clearly saw the blue in
        the wings and tail, but no hint of rusty on the back or breast of the
        female.

        Another new
        county bird was Green-tailed Towhee with juvenile right in the camp.

        As had Matthew, I heard no owls, but there was a Mtn Quail calling down the

        slope to the east in the morning.

        In addition to birds, there is an abundance of mtn wildflowers blooming,
        including two species of wild orchid. Also, many butterflies.

        Art Morley

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19 10:32 AM
          Hello,
          We took our first drive up Etsel Ridge Road Thursday. We got off to a
          late start, so we missed a few target species. . . but, we will return!
          We only encountered four other vehicles the entire time (so, mid-week
          trips are good, if you can take the time).
          Highlights included watching a family of 4 MOUNTAIN QUAIL as they
          crossed the road. This was 10:50 AM, 4.7 miles up M1 from the Eel
          River Campground, still outside the National Forest.
          We also saw a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, 28.5 miles from the Eel R.
          Cpgd. The road got quite rocky there, so we headed back north.
          Also, in a spruce grove near Grizzly Flat, we saw HAMMOND'S
          FLYCATCHER, lots of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, NASHVILLE &
          HERMIT WARBLERS, and many Red-breasted Nuthatches and
          Dark-eyed Juncos.
          Thanks to Toby, Art and George for their help.
          ---- Karen & Jim Havlena
          Fort Bragg