Southern Mendocino coast

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2005
      Hi Birders. Taking a break from helping my parents
      move back into their house in Potter Valley, Austin
      Booth and I made a quick trip to the south coast this
      afternoon. We headed up and over Mountain View Rd.,
      went to Hunter's Lagoon, Pt Arena lighthouse, the
      Garcia River mouth, Pt Arena pier and the Gualala
      River mouth. Highlites were limited to:

      Three Blue Grouse along Mountain View Rd. at 2:30 PM.

      One Whimbrel, ~10 Caspian Terns, 4 Surf Scoters
      (including one disguised as a Black Scoter), 1
      Red-throated Loon, 1 Pacific Loon and small numbers of
      assorted and distant Calidris Sandpipers at the Garcia
      River mouth.

      A pair of Purple Martins at the bridge crossing the
      Gualala River (also in Sonoma County - gotta love
      those two'fer County birds). Is this a known/regular
      location for this species?

      Three Mountain Quail (one adult and two very small
      babies) coming back over Mountain View Rd. this
      evening. this is a great road for this species,
      especially early in the morning.

      Its good to be back in California. Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Currently in Potter Valley, MEN Co.

      http://mail.yahoo.com