Etsel Ridge

  • Arthur Morley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
      On July 13 & 14 I drove Etsel Ridge, the first time there for me. I went as
      far as Spruce Grove and camped there. My birding experience was similar to
      that of Matthew's 12 days before. The richest area was Spruce Grove and I
      was there from 4:30 pm to 10:30 am.

      New Mendo. birds for me at Spruce Grove were: White-headed Woodpecker (near
      the wet meadow,
      north and down the hill from the camp area), Mountain Chickadee, female
      Mountain Bluebird with juvenile (near the road that continues east from the
      camp). I watched the birds for a few minutes and clearly saw the blue in
      the wings and tail, but no hint of rusty on the back or breast of the
      female.

      Another new
      county bird was Green-tailed Towhee with juvenile right in the camp.

      As had Matthew, I heard no owls, but there was a Mtn Quail calling down the
      slope to the east in the morning.

      In addition to birds, there is an abundance of mtn wildflowers blooming,
      including two species of wild orchid. Also, many butterflies.

      Art Morley
    • Jack Booth
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
        July 2 & 3. I drove to Spruce Grove with Austin and Mimi Booth. At the
        camp used by the Peregrine Audubon group in the 1990's we heard three
        flammulated owls one west of the wet meadow on the ridge, one SE of the
        camp and another further to the east of camp. Austin also got video of
        white-headed woodpecker going to and from it's nest hole. Jack Booth
      • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
          Art and other Mendo birders,

          Your MOBL with young is pretty interesting. Does anyone know of confirmed
          breeding records from Mendocino County? For my records, was that on July
          13 or 14?

          Thanks,

          John E. Hunter
          Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
          1655 Heindon Road
          Arcata, CA 95521
          707-822-7201 (phone)
          707-822-8136 (fax)
          John_E_Hunter@...

          "Arthur Morley"
          <agmorley@hotmai To: mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
          l.com> cc:
          Sent by: Subject: [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge
          Mendobirds@yahoo
          groups.com

          07/15/2005 04:43
          PM

[...]

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
            Hello,
            We took our first drive up Etsel Ridge Road Thursday. We got off to a
            late start, so we missed a few target species. . . but, we will return!
            We only encountered four other vehicles the entire time (so, mid-week
            trips are good, if you can take the time).
            Highlights included watching a family of 4 MOUNTAIN QUAIL as they
            crossed the road. This was 10:50 AM, 4.7 miles up M1 from the Eel
            River Campground, still outside the National Forest.
            We also saw a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, 28.5 miles from the Eel R.
            Cpgd. The road got quite rocky there, so we headed back north.
            Also, in a spruce grove near Grizzly Flat, we saw HAMMOND'S
            FLYCATCHER, lots of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, NASHVILLE &
            HERMIT WARBLERS, and many Red-breasted Nuthatches and
            Dark-eyed Juncos.
            Thanks to Toby, Art and George for their help.
            ---- Karen & Jim Havlena
            Fort Bragg