Southern Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10 10:58 AM
      Yesterday (9 June) I relocated both female
      BUFFLEHEADS: the highly worn bird at Borax Lake (near
      southeast corner; attempted unsuccesffuly to fly when
      closely approached by a boy with a gun who shot and
      killed a BREWER'S BLACKBIRD) and the less worn bird at
      Clearlake Sewage Ponds. The RUDDY DUCK with 3 chicks
      was at the southwest corner of Borax Lake. I was
      unable to find any GADWALLS at Borax Lake but found an
      immature male WOOD DUCK.

      At Clearlake the CALIFORNIA GULL population doubled
      from about 20 to 40 birds during the past week and
      included the first juvenile of the season.

      On Friday (8 June) a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK captured a
      small bird in my yard.

      And belatedly, a male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK was at
      Anderson Marsh on 15 June.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
        Here are a few birds seen during the hot afternoon
        today in southern Lake County:

        LESSER SCAUP: male at Borax Lake, uncertain if a new
        arrival or overlooked

        BUFFLEHEAD: female still at Borax Lake

        RING-BILLED GULL: adult at Clearlake

        SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER: four juveniles at Hidden
        Valley Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant

        At Detert Reservoir, three male RUDDY DUCKS (possibly
        females, too, but I didn't have a telescope) were
        present during 28-29 July.

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 21, 2005
          Large numbers of dabbling ducks appear to be new
          arrivals. Here are some birds seen this morning.

          NORTHERN SHOVELER: 25 at Clearlake Wastewater
          Treatment Plant; 6 at Borax Lake; 5 at Hidden Valley
          Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant.

          GREEN-WINGED TEAL: 1 at Clearlake Wastewater Treatment
          Plant; 3 at Borax Lake; 1 at Hidden Valley Lake
          Wastewater Treatment Plant.

          CINNAMON/BLUE-WINGED TEAL: 13 at Borax Lake; 1 at
          Hidden Valley Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant.

          GADWALL: 5 at Clearlake Wastewater Treatment Plant; 10
          at Borax Lake.

          BUFFLEHEAD: female at Clearlake Wastewater Treatment
          Plant (couldn't find female at Borax Lake, or the male
          Lesser Scaup)

          SOLITARY SANDPIPER: 1 at Borax Lake.

          BAIRD'S SANDPIPER: 1 juvenile at Borax Lake.

          SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER: 5 juveniles at Borax Lake.

          RED-NECKED PHALAROPE: 1

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 29, 2005
            Birds seen on 28 August:

            REDHEAD: two (males?) at Borax Lake.
            AMERICAN WIGEON: two males at Borax Lake.
            NORTHERN PINTAIL: about 110 at Borax Lake.
            BUFFLEHEAD: one female at Borax Lake.
            CINNAMON TEAL: 17 at Borax Lake.
            WILLOW FLYCATCHER: one at Redbud Park; one at Anderson
            Marsh.

            Belatedly, a male RING-NECKED DUCK was at Borax Lake
            on 22 August, and another was in Pope Valley, in Napa
            County just south of Lake County, on 18 August.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2005
              On Saturday evening, 24 September, an AMERICAN AVOCET
              was at the Hidden Valley Water Reclamation Plant,
              along with a male GREATER SCAUP and a bizarre male
              MALLARD with a fairly bright orange head (either a
              mutant or a hybrid, but everything else looks
              Mallard--when I find the time I'll post som photos).

              There wasn't much of interest at Anderson Marsh,
              Clearlake or Borax Lake.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2005
                This afternoon (Sunday the 6th) a female SURF SCOTER
                provided a pleasant surprise at the Clearlake
                Wastewater Treatment Plant. At the Hidden Valley Lake
                Wastewater Treatment Plant there were seven CINNAMON
                TEAL, five CANVASBACKS, six LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, a
                DUNLIN and eight LEAST SANDPIPERS (the most shorebirds
                I've seen there). At Borax Lake there were three
                CANVASBACKS (first I've seen there). A juvenile
                THAYER'S GULL was among the gulls on the dock at
                Austin Park both this afternoon and on 29 October.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
                  Here's a summary of recent sightings:

                  COMMON LOON: one at Clearlake Park, one at Sulphur
                  Bank Point, 12-04.

                  REDHEAD: one female at Hidden Valley Lake, 12-04; two
                  males and a female at Hidden Valley Lake, 11-20.

                  CINNAMON TEAL: three males and four females at Hidden
                  Valley Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant, 12-04 (present
                  since 10-29).

                  WESTERN GULL: one 1st-basic, one 2nd-basic and one
                  adult at Clearlake, 12-04; two adults at Clearlake,
                  11-25 and 11-27.

                  GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: seven 1st-basic, two 2nd-basic,
                  one 3rd-basic and one adult at Clearlake and Clearlake
                  Park, 12-04 (smaller numbers in late November).

                  Presumed WESTERN X GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: one
                  3rd/4th-basic at Clearlake, 12-04 (adult-like with
                  dark smudges near tip of thick yellowish bill; gonys
                  prominent; iris dark but slightly pale; head with
                  distinct grayish hood; mantle color intermediate;
                  primary tips blackish with white tips, but pale
                  underneath; legs pink).

                  THAYER'S GULL: three 1st-basic, one 2nd-basic, one
                  3rd-basic and two adults at Clearlake and Clearlake
                  Park, 12-04 (smaller numbers in late November).

                  MEW GULL: one adult at Clearlake, 12-04; one 1st-basic
                  at Clearlake, 11-27 (only individuals I've seen at
                  Clear Lake since last winter).

                  LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER: one 1st-basic at Borax Lake,
                  12-04 (two on 11-20); three 1st-basic at Hidden Valley
                  Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant, 11-27 (absent on
                  12-04).

                  LEAST SANDPIPER: one at Hidden Valley Lake Wastewater
                  Treatment Plant, 12-04 (12 on 11-27).

                  WILSON'S SNIPE: two at Hidden Valley Lake Wastewater
                  Treament Plant, 11-27 (one on 11-20).

                  PHAINOPEPLA: one female at Anderson Marsh, 11-26.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
                    This evening I found a lone ROSS'S GOOSE among 128+
                    CANADA GEESE in a flooded, brushy field west of the
                    junction of Spruce Rd. Ext. and Hwy. 29 at Hidden
                    Valley Lake. Spruce Rd. Ext. is on the west side of
                    Highway 29 opposite Hidden Valley Rd. (entrance to
                    gated Hidden Valley Lake community), about 5 miles
                    north of Middletown. On Monday I was surprised to find
                    a female COMMON GOLDENEYE and six BUFFLEHEADS in a
                    shallow pool there that couldn't have been deeper than
                    a few feet.

                    Also today, a PRAIRIE FALCON and a FERRUGINOUS HAWK
                    were in the open fields along Butts Canyon Rd. south
                    of Middletown and two immature BALD EAGLES were at
                    Detert Reservoir.

                    On Monday, two CINNAMON TEAL were at the Hidden Valley
                    Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant but they were absent
                    today.

                    Floyd Hayes
                    Hidden Valley Lake, CA
                  • Floyd Hayes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 17, 2006
                      Yesterday was by far my best day birding in the
                      county. Here are the highlights, beginning with the
                      species whose identity is certain:

                      GLAUCOUS GULL: First-basic immature on dock at Austin
                      Park, Clearlake, from 10:25-10:40 am (absent at 3:15
                      and 4:30 pm); a photo is posted at:

                      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/glaucousgull

                      TUFTED DUCK: Adult male with long tuft, pure black
                      back and pure white sides with 680 scaup (in three
                      flocks) at Borax Lake, from 4:10-4:25 pm. No photo
                      (drizzling, poor light).

                      Possible KUMLIEN'S ICELAND GULL: First-basic immature
                      on dock at Pirate’s Cove, Clearlake Park, from
                      8:00-9:15 am (absent during early to mid-afternoon).
                      This bird’s identity is controversial. However, a well
                      known gull expert in Newfoundland and Jon Dunn here in
                      CA thought the photos looked great for Kumlien’s (a
                      few others have disagreed; I'm looking forward to
                      receiving more opinions). If anybody is lucky enough
                      to relocate this bird (driving directions are given at
                      the end of this message), good views or photos of the
                      secondaries would be useful in evaluating its
                      identity. Photos with a link to comments (so you can
                      judge for yourself whether chasing this bird might be
                      worthwhile) are posted at:

                      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysterygull

                      OTHER GULLS: The identity of two other interesting
                      gulls at Clearlake Park eluded confirmation. The first
                      was a 3rd-basic immature with very dark back and wings
                      (lacking white-tipped primaries), seen for <1 min at
                      9:10 am. It had a bicolored bill, pink legs and a
                      broad white secondary skirt. When I noticed it had a
                      pale iris, dark smudge behind the eye and dark
                      streaking on the hindneck, I instantly jumped into my
                      car to retrieve my camera battery which was recharging
                      at a nearby gas station, but when I returned 4 minutes
                      later the bird was gone. I’m convinced it was either a
                      Western or Slaty-backed Gull, but don't know which.
                      The pale iris and dark markings were real but perhaps
                      not quite as contrasting as I would have liked for a
                      Slaty-backed.

                      The second gull was scoped out on the lake by Jerry
                      White in the early afternoon (when the gulls had
                      abandoned the docks). According to Jerry, it "seemed
                      to fit an adult Kumlien's quite closely," but there
                      are no photos.

                      In addition to the above gulls there are at least a
                      half dozen Western Gulls of various ages (mostly
                      adult), probably a dozen Glaucous-winged Gulls (mostly
                      1st-basic), several hybrid Western X Glaucous-winged
                      Gulls (2nd-basic, 3rd-basic and adult) and many
                      Thayer’s Gulls, all roaming the southern Clear Lake
                      area.

                      The ROSS'S GOOSE seen at Hidden Valley Lake on Sunday
                      the 8th has not been seen since.

                      TIPS FOR "GULLING" SOUTHERN CLEAR LAKE: If you are
                      interested in searching for these gulls, be forewarned
                      that there are thousands of gulls at Clearlake with
                      only a small proportion at any time roosting within
                      easy viewing range on a few scattered docks.
                      Furthermore, the presence of gulls on the docks is
                      unpredictable due to frequent human disturbance. More
                      gulls tend to loaf on the docks when it is raining,
                      presumably due to a lower frequency of human
                      disturbance. Most of the gulls are far out in the lake
                      and many shuttle back and forth between the landfill
                      south of Clearlake. I do see some individual gulls
                      repeatedly, even on different docks, so relocating
                      these gulls is certainly feasible (and I'll be trying
                      every weekend). Visibility is best in the morning.
                      Here are the best spots to study gulls from south to
                      north:

                      Clearlake Landfill: From the junction of Lakeshore
                      Drive and Hwy 53 in Clearlake, drive south and turn
                      left (following the sign) at the first road. Follow
                      this road until it turns right and eventually ends at
                      the landfill. The managers wouldn’t let me enter the
                      landfill but the gulls can be viewed from a paved road
                      on a hillside that veers left just before the landfill
                      entrance. The views are distant, but I've picked out
                      Western, Glaucous-winged and Thayer's. And it's closed
                      on Sundays and holidays, when the gulls are absent.

                      Red Bud Park: From the junction of Lakeshore Drive and
                      Hwy 53 in Clearlake, drive north on Lakeshore Drive
                      past the first stoplight and look for Kathie’s Inn on
                      the left. Just beyond the inn, turn left and check out
                      the obvious docks, which gulls often roost on before
                      the fishermen spook them. A large flock is invariably
                      on the water well beyond the docks. Also, drive
                      through the park toward the southwest to Golf Rd. and
                      turn right. After a few hundred yards a dock is
                      visible on the right.

                      Austin Park: Continue northward on Lakeshore Drive to
                      an obvious beach on the left just before the junction
                      of Olympic Drive. The long dock is the most consistent
                      spot for gulls to roost and can be viewed either from
                      the beach or a back alley directly behind the dock.
                      From the gate in the back alley, walk toward the gas
                      station and look across the fence at two more docks.

                      Pirate’s Cove: Continue northward on Lakeshore Drive,
                      checking out numerous docks (but with few if any
                      gulls) along the way. The best gull roost is at three
                      docks at 11021 Lakeshore Drive, 4.0 miles north of
                      Clearlake Park Post Office and 2.3 miles north of the
                      hairpin S-curve at junction of San Joaquin (turn left
                      if driving northward). This is where the possible
                      Kumlien’s Iceland Gull and other undocumented odd
                      gulls were seen.

                      Floyd Hayes
                      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake Co., CA
                    • Floyd Hayes
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 20, 2008
                        At Borax Lake this morning Mike Stanley and I saw a male EURASIAN WIGEON, a possible female BLUE-WINGED TEAL (head in water most of the time; I would like a better look) with five CINNAMON TEAL, a PEREGRINE FALCON (Mike saw one earlier in the week) and a juvenile PECTORAL SANDPIPER (definitely not the Ruff suggestive of Mike's photos on the 15th; Jerry White and Mike relocated it and confirmed its identity on the 16th). We also saw a white EARED GREBE with a dark black crown; earlier this summer there was a different one with a white crown (or perhaps it is the same bird which has subsequently molted black crown feathers?).

                        In Clearlake I saw five species of gulls including an adult WESTERN GULL and at Anderson Marsh I saw two VAUX'S SWIFTS. I also saw a lot of warblers, vireos and flycatchers (especially at Austin Park), but nothing unexpected.

                        The most unexpected bird of the morning was a COCKATIEL feeding with MALLARDS on the lawn at Redbud Park.

                        Floyd Hayes
                        Hidden Valley Lake, CA
                      • Floyd Hayes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 9, 2008
                          On Sunday the 12th, Doug Weidemann and I saw a male EURASIAN WIGEON at Borax Lake, where we also saw three leucistic birds. Two were nearly all-white EARED GREBES, one with a grayish crown and the other wish a black crown. The other was an AMERICAN COOT with some jagged dark markings on a mostly white head, resembling a miniature Bar-headed Goose.

                          I just met Nick Shepherd, who saw a pair of BARROW'S GOLDENEYES on Sunday the 12th at a mobile home park (can't remember the name) on a small peninsula in Clearlake Park (Doug and I missed it when we independently checked out the area).

                          Floyd Hayes
                          Hidden Valley Lake, CA
                        • Floyd Hayes
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 7, 2008
                            Nick Shepherd and I tallied 8 species of gulls this morning at Clearlake, including the adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL on the roof of WalMart from 8:18-8:25. Now that it's been here at least 37 days I'm hopeful it will stick around for the CBC, maybe all winter. We also saw a 1st-cycle gull appearing intermediate between Thayer's and Iceland Gull (strongly speckled tertials, primaries concolorous with wing, faint secondary bar, didn't see tail well; not as good a candidate for Iceland Gull as the 2006 gull).

                            At Redbud Park we were surprised to see four species of geese in a single flock: a SNOW GOOSE, a WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, five CACKLING GEESE and 16 CANADA GEESE. At Redbud Park we saw a female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. We were unable to find the RED-NECKED GREBE--my bad luck bird for the county--seen twice north of Clearlake Oaks by Jerry White.

                            Floyd Hayes
                            Hidden Valley Lake, CA
                          • Floyd Hayes
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 7, 2011
                              A SNOW GOOSE appears to shuttling back and forth between Napa and Lake Counties with a flock of CANADA GEESE. I saw it at Pope Valley (Napa Co.) on 27, 28 and 31 January. Myron Widmer saw it at Detert Reservoir (Lake Co.) on 29 January and I saw it this morning along Butts Canyon Rd. about 2 miles south of Hwy 29 at Middletown (Lake Co.).

                              On 31 January, Doug Weidemann found a male RED-BREASTED MERGANSER at Detert Reservoir, along Butts Canyon Road south of Middletown. It was my first at the reservoir. I haven't stopped to search for it since.

                              On 29 January, Doug and I searched in vain for the RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER near Lower Lake for 45 minutes. On the roof of Wal Mart we saw a 1st-basic GLAUCOUS X HERRING GULL, probably the same bird present since November.

                              Floyd Hayes
                              Hidden Valley Lake, CA