Etsel Ridge

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
      2 & 3 July, 2005 - This past weekend I drove up to Etsel Ridge for a little high elevation Mendo birding. Nothing unusual but all the usual suspects were present. MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES were abundant. Along the M-1 just north of Spruce Grove (I forget the mileage) I had to work to find a single WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER and the site that is normally very good for them. Also at this spot were GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE and CASSIN'S FINCH.

      Along the M-1 south of Spruce Grove were DUSKY FLYCATCHER, HERMIT WARBLER, and NASHVILLE WARBLER. At Spruce Grove itself were HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER (daggetti), and an adult and an immature TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE. In the meadow below the grove were singing LINCOLN'S SPARROWS. I camped Sat night in the grove but was unable to turn up any owls.

      For the most part the road is now passable. There were numerous downed trees across the road but they've all been cleared. The only obstacle I couldn't get past was a snow bank covering the road just north of Windy Gap (apparently passable with 4-wheel drive). I was hoping to get out to Windy Point and then drive down Boardman Ridge but had to return to Ukiah via M-61 and M-6.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA
    • Arthur Morley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
        On July 13 & 14 I drove Etsel Ridge, the first time there for me. I went as
        far as Spruce Grove and camped there. My birding experience was similar to
        that of Matthew's 12 days before. The richest area was Spruce Grove and I
        was there from 4:30 pm to 10:30 am.

        New Mendo. birds for me at Spruce Grove were: White-headed Woodpecker (near
        the wet meadow,
        north and down the hill from the camp area), Mountain Chickadee, female
        Mountain Bluebird with juvenile (near the road that continues east from the
        camp). I watched the birds for a few minutes and clearly saw the blue in
        the wings and tail, but no hint of rusty on the back or breast of the
        female.

        Another new
        county bird was Green-tailed Towhee with juvenile right in the camp.

        As had Matthew, I heard no owls, but there was a Mtn Quail calling down the
        slope to the east in the morning.

        In addition to birds, there is an abundance of mtn wildflowers blooming,
        including two species of wild orchid. Also, many butterflies.

        Art Morley
      • Jack Booth
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
          July 2 & 3. I drove to Spruce Grove with Austin and Mimi Booth. At the
          camp used by the Peregrine Audubon group in the 1990's we heard three
          flammulated owls one west of the wet meadow on the ridge, one SE of the
          camp and another further to the east of camp. Austin also got video of
          white-headed woodpecker going to and from it's nest hole. Jack Booth
        • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
            Art and other Mendo birders,

            Your MOBL with young is pretty interesting. Does anyone know of confirmed
            breeding records from Mendocino County? For my records, was that on July
            13 or 14?

            Thanks,

            John E. Hunter
            Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
            1655 Heindon Road
            Arcata, CA 95521
            707-822-7201 (phone)
            707-822-8136 (fax)
            John_E_Hunter@...

            "Arthur Morley"
            <agmorley@hotmai To: mendobirds@yahoogroups.com
            l.com> cc:
            Sent by: Subject: [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge
            Mendobirds@yahoo
            groups.com

            07/15/2005 04:43
            PM

[...]

            these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
              Hello,
              We took our first drive up Etsel Ridge Road Thursday. We got off to a
              late start, so we missed a few target species. . . but, we will return!
              We only encountered four other vehicles the entire time (so, mid-week
              trips are good, if you can take the time).
              Highlights included watching a family of 4 MOUNTAIN QUAIL as they
              crossed the road. This was 10:50 AM, 4.7 miles up M1 from the Eel
              River Campground, still outside the National Forest.
              We also saw a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, 28.5 miles from the Eel R.
              Cpgd. The road got quite rocky there, so we headed back north.
              Also, in a spruce grove near Grizzly Flat, we saw HAMMOND'S
              FLYCATCHER, lots of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, NASHVILLE &
              HERMIT WARBLERS, and many Red-breasted Nuthatches and
              Dark-eyed Juncos.
              Thanks to Toby, Art and George for their help.
              ---- Karen & Jim Havlena
              Fort Bragg