Purple Martin

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
      Tues - 28 June 2005 - The pair of purple martins nesting in the power
      transmission pole at UC-HREC are still present, apparently feeding
      young. The adults forage out-of-view of the nest site ... at least far
      enough away to where I lose track of them through binoculars/ridge
      horizons. I watched the male arrive at the nest and the female immediately
      left to forage. The male emerged to forage five minutes later. We are
      working with PG&E to erect a set of nest boxes nearby (based upon Purple
      Martin Conservation Assoc. standards) in hopes of establishing a colony
      next year (assuming that progeny and associates will visit the site next
      year). Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
        3 June 2013 - Monday - I observed a pair of PURPLE MARTINS atop the power pole on the northeast corner of the Hopland Superette store building in downtown Hopland. Ryan Keiffer also told me that he observed 3 PURPLE MARTINS along University Road, flying over the vineyards and the "Ski Pond" just before you get to the large HREC sign (at the end of the long straight stretch). These birds are probably either nesting or roosting in the large-diameter power pole on the south side of the road as they have in years' past. Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

        [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
        Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
        4070 University Rd.
        Hopland, CA 95449