Gadwalls galore and more

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19 3:07 PM
      I spent a few hours birding southern Lake County
      yesterday, 18 June. I was unable to relocate the
      FORSTER'S TERN at Clearlake.

      I birded Borax Lake rather thoroughly and found the
      following birds:

      BUFFLEHEAD: a worn female at the north end of the lake
      (2nd summer record?)

      GADWALL: about 17 scattered around the lake (4th
      summer record?) and possibly breeding, although all
      the ducklings appeared to be associated with more
      numerous MALLARDS (a leucistic MALLARD was at the
      north end of the lake)

      RUDDY DUCK: about 17 scattered around the lake, none
      with ducklings

      KILLDEER: a nest with four eggs at the north end of
      the lake

      Today, 19 June, I visited the Hidden Valley Lake
      Wastewater Treatment Plant and saw a male GADWALL (5th
      summer record?) among the more abundant MALLARDS. I
      didn't have my telescope with me and am uncertain
      whether there were any female GADWALLS with ducklings.
      Are there any nesting records for the county?

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19 4:48 PM
        Floyd
        Now that we have a checklist available that has good long term information
        on the status of birds in Lake County we can start the process of refining
        that information for a number of species. Actually it appears you have
        already begun that work.
        Gadwall; I had a male and female at Borax Lake on the June 14th for the 4th
        summer record. I will consider your June 18th and 19th records as the 5th
        and 6th county records. We are now at extremely rare. There are no nesting
        records so far. Reality ( if more birding is done in the June and July
        period) is probably that Gadwall is Rare (or above) in the summer.

        Ring-billed Gull; I have been working on that. I only had 4 summer records
        in the data base when I did the list. This summer I have recorded what I
        consider 3 more records so they are now extremely rare. Reality is at least
        Rare but probably Uncommon.

        Your very high numbers for Gadwall and Ruddy Duck are interesting. Thanks
        for the detailed information. JRW
        > I spent a few hours birding southern Lake County
        > yesterday, 18 June. I was unable to relocate the
        > FORSTER'S TERN at Clearlake.
        >
        > I birded Borax Lake rather thoroughly and found the
        > following birds:
        >
        > BUFFLEHEAD: a worn female at the north end of the lake
        > (2nd summer record?)
        >
        > GADWALL: about 17 scattered around the lake (4th
        > summer record?) and possibly breeding, although all
        > the ducklings appeared to be associated with more
        > numerous MALLARDS (a leucistic MALLARD was at the
        > north end of the lake)
        >
        > RUDDY DUCK: about 17 scattered around the lake, none
        > with ducklings
        >
        > KILLDEER: a nest with four eggs at the north end of
        > the lake
        >
        > Today, 19 June, I visited the Hidden Valley Lake
        > Wastewater Treatment Plant and saw a male GADWALL (5th
        > summer record?) among the more abundant MALLARDS. I
        > didn't have my telescope with me and am uncertain
        > whether there were any female GADWALLS with ducklings.
        > Are there any nesting records for the county?
        >
        > Floyd Hayes
        > Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County

        these addresses: