Northern Parula, Black-chinned Sparrow

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2005
      These two birds were not found on the same day, or even the same weekend.

      The Northern Parula was (heard only) on the trail (road) to the Caspar Cemetery yesterday, Saturday June 18th. Park at the pullout to the south at the gated dirt road off of Pt. Cabrillo Drive. I first heard the bird as I got out of the car at about 11:40 AM.
      The bird then moved up along the trail about halfway to the cemetery and continued to sing its distinctive rising buzz song on and off for the 35 minutes I was in the area. I had made a quick stop the evening before at about 7:30 PM at this location but had not detected this bird. Also Toby Tobkin called and said she tried yesterday at about 4:30 PM but did not find the bird.
      Other birds of interest on Saturday included a lingering Greater White-fronted Goose at Lake Cleone and a Marbled Murrelet seen from Highway 1 on the ocean just north of Juan Creek.
      Also of interest were three other species ( maybe late migrants?) that seemed to be effected by the storm system that prevailed over the area all weekend. There were two calling Yellow-breasted Chats near the intersection of Highway 1 and Camp 2 Ten Mile Road. Two Olive-sided Flycatchers seemed somewhat out of habitat with one in the coastal scrub and one working a pasture and residential area at the south end of Westport. At Wages Creek I got a brief look at a Myiarchus flycatcher (probable Ash-throated) that was moving north.

      On Friday June 10th I again tried to reach Spruce Grove, this time from the south. Snow across the road stopped me just past the Lake County line not far from the road up to the Hull Mt. peak. I ended up on foot for 3 or so hours of birding in the area.
      There was a singing Black-chinned Sparrow on the south facing slope of Windy Ridge (just to the northwest of Hull Mt.).
      Other species seen in the area were Dusky Flycatchers, Green-tailed Towhees, and a White-headed Woodpecker.
      Around mid-day a Common Poorwill called a few times from the montane chaparral. JRW