Rhinoceros Auklet

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2005
      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 -- At the Mendocino headlands today Chuck Vaughn and I
      found an alcid on the water near the murre/cormorant colony which we
      believe is a juvenile RHINOCEROS AUKLET. It was smaller than adult Pigeon
      Guillemots nearby but coloration, bill size, and bill shape indicated a
      rhino. According to the literature, juvenile rhinos leave their burrows and
      move to the water when they can barely fly and are only 40-85% of their
      adult body weight. The presence of an undersized juvenile rhino on the
      water this early in the season suggests local nesting, perhaps on the
      islands of the Mendocino headlands themselves.
      Further south we also visited the house on Duxbury Road near
      Manchester and saw a flock of 11 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES fly up from behind
      the house. This number should raise this newcomer species from the "x"
      rating (extremely rare) to the "r" rating (rare) on the Mendocino county
      list.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA