ovenbird, hawks

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2005
      On Sunday, June 5, I went to Hearst for a Emandal Chorale event. When I
      got there Tam told me that a chorus member had found a dead bird near
      the building. She asked me to identify it. It is a very distinctive
      bird, and one that I had never seen locally before, so I froze it for
      the day in her freezer and then brought it home. Consultation with
      field guides indicated ovenbird to me. Chuck Vaughn confirmed that
      today. He said it's the third county record. The bird had been dead one
      or two days. It looks like it flew into a window or somehow experienced
      an impact to its head.

      I gave it to Chuck, who will take it to Hopland for Bob Keiffer to
      preserve.

      My hawklet has fledged, though as of this morning she was still
      spending time at the nest. Tomorrow's UDJ should have a story on Jon
      Klein, with photos, and my final hawk diary will be in the following
      Friday's paper, I think. I'll also post here when finished.

      Have seen numerous fledged young 'uns in the last weeks. Jon Klein
      reports that the two young golden eagles have fledged.

      Kate Marianchild
      Publicity Chair
      Peregrine Audubon Society
      katem@...