Tricolored Balckbirds - Hopland

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2005
      Wednesday - June 8, 2005 - This morning I learned from a CalTrans Bio-Survey Crew that there was a small colony of Tricolored Blackbirds at the Fetzer "Pavilion" pond. I checked it out at noon and found a colony that I estimate at 20 - 25 individuals. I was able to see 5-7 males at any one time and 4-5 females at any one time. Birds were coming and going with food in their beaks so it was hard to get an accurate count. The colony is located at the pond just to the west of the famous Fetzer Gardens, and is on the southeast side of the pond about 100 yards south of the Pavilion building...just to the south of the yellow-ribboned road (to keep vehicle traffic out) and the newly-bladed parking lot. The area has a row of 60' tall cottonwoods adjacent to the tules (narrow-leafed and broad-leafed) where the birds are nesting and many of the birds were hanging out in the cottonwoods. There are Red-winged Blackbirds elsewhere around the pond.
      Bob Keiffer

    • Barbara E. Dolan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2005
        On 6-11-05 Cheryl Watson and Geoff Heinekin and I were able to view the
        the TRIs as you describe.
        I then went over to Lakeport and on Lakeshore Drive at the 3800 area
        there are reeds where 2 reported male Yellow-headed Blackbirds are
        moving in and out . I did not see the birds . I suggested keeping an
        eye out for females. They've been observed there for a week and
        reportedly were there this morning. I did see a pair of Green Herons.
        Later 2 Osprey, courting Western Grebes as well as juvies along side
        adults, and the Mute Swan .bd

[...]

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        WARNING: The information contained in this message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify HIPAA@... by E-Mail and then destroy this communication in a manner appropriate for privileged information.
      • Chet ogan