Northern Goshawk , Vesper Sparrow

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2005
      Yesterday afternoon I made an attempt to get to Spruce Grove in the Mendocino National Forest by going through Round Valley and then up Forest Service road M1. The main concern was snow blocking the road, but before I reached any snow a fallen tree across the road stopped my progress. This was about 6 miles past Grizzly Flat.
      On the trip I was fortunate to see an adult Northern Goshawk in hunting mode flight. But the most surprising bird was a Vesper Sparrow near Grizzly Flat in the Brewer Oak/grasslands area. There may have been a small flock as several birds flew up; but I was only able to get a good look at the one.
      Other expected birds noted were; a "thick-billed" Fox Sparrow, a singing Townsend's Solitaire, many Mt. Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatch's. JRW