South Mendo Coast

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2005
      Wednesday 25 May 2005 - Along the Point Arena Lighthouse Road in the
      morning I saw the following highlights - Common Loon (1), Brown Pelican
      (140-150 single flock),
      Rough-winged Swallow (6) Olive-sided Flycatcher (3), Ash-throated
      Flycatcher (1), and Western Bluebird (2). I Could NOT confirm the report
      of possible Bank Swallows along the bluffs at Lighthouse Road ... I did see
      many Cliff Swallows and six Rough-winged Swallows along the bluffs south of
      the road (toward Loran Station). I have several times viewed Bank Swallows
      at known colonies in other parts of the west and find that the neck band is
      extremely hard to see on birds in flight ... so be careful.

      At Manchester State Beach area along Duxbury and Bristol Lanes and Brushy
      Creek highlights included - 25 Canada Geese, Snowy Egret (1), Bonapart's
      Gull (2), Caspian Tern (1), Eurasian Collared-Dove (2), Northern Harrier
      (2) with probable nesting on the SW side of Hunter's Lagoon.

      Good Birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center