Purple Martin

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2005
      Thursday - 12 May 2005 - I observed one pair of Purple Martin atop a
      streetlight post on the south end of Hopland at 8:00 AM. The Hwy 101
      streetlight post is just south of "The Keg" (Where every night is Saturday
      night) and directly across from Petro America gas station. It appeared as
      though they were checking out the light/post for nesting. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2005
        Monday - 23 May 2005 - Last year Chuck Vaughn discovered a nesting pair of
        Purple Martin's in a PGE line pole here at UC-HREC. I checked the site
        today to find the female's head sticking out of the hole. Soon she left
        to forage to the east over the Huntley Peak area. I did not see the male
        ...but am assuming that the pair is nesting again this year. Purple
        Martin observations are always worth noting ...especially the inland
        sites. Bob Keiffer

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28 1:40 PM
          Tues - 28 June 2005 - The pair of purple martins nesting in the power
          transmission pole at UC-HREC are still present, apparently feeding
          young. The adults forage out-of-view of the nest site ... at least far
          enough away to where I lose track of them through binoculars/ridge
          horizons. I watched the male arrive at the nest and the female immediately
          left to forage. The male emerged to forage five minutes later. We are
          working with PG&E to erect a set of nest boxes nearby (based upon Purple
          Martin Conservation Assoc. standards) in hopes of establishing a colony
          next year (assuming that progeny and associates will visit the site next
          year). Bob Keiffer

          Robert J. Keiffer
          Principal Supt. of Agriculture
          UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
          4070 University Road
          Hopland, CA 95449
          (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

          Theodore Roosevelt

        • Robert Keiffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4 12:51 PM
            3 June 2013 - Monday - I observed a pair of PURPLE MARTINS atop the power pole on the northeast corner of the Hopland Superette store building in downtown Hopland. Ryan Keiffer also told me that he observed 3 PURPLE MARTINS along University Road, flying over the vineyards and the "Ski Pond" just before you get to the large HREC sign (at the end of the long straight stretch). These birds are probably either nesting or roosting in the large-diameter power pole on the south side of the road as they have in years' past. Good birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...>

            [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
            Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
            4070 University Rd.
            Hopland, CA 95449