Least Bitterns/Lake County

  • dlwoodward1@home.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2001
      Yestrday (7/22) I went to the outlet of Kelsey Creek in Clear Lake
      State Park where Jerry White had found a Least Bittern on 7/20. At
      5:20p two Least Bitterns were seen clambering along the edge of the
      tules on the small island that is straight out (NE) from the flat. I
      was unable to age or sex one of them but the other was an adult male
      that stayed in view for several minutes before it took several short
      flights to other locations with tules around the edges of the flat. A
      few minutes later a juvenile clambered to the edge of the tules on
      the south side of the flat (well away from where I had seen the first
      two) and stayed in view for several minutes before it also made some
      short flights around the edges of the flat. At 6:20p presumably the
      same juvenile was seen for more than 10 minutes as it stayed
      relatively motionless while holding onto a tule with one foot.
      Dave Woodward