baby talk

  • Jessica Morton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9 9:07 PM
      Greetings -
      While we're sharing baby stories, I have a question: does anyone have
      thoughts/information about the possible predators of two of the
      Canada goslings at Caspar Pond last week? I spotted 3 downy goslings
      swimming with parents Thursday, all 3 feeding in the grass between
      the adults the day before, and yet Saturday, Sunday and today, just
      one little guy. Ideas, please?
      --

      Gratitude is the memory of the heart; therefore forget not to say often,
      I have all I ever enjoyed.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9 9:52 PM
        Jessica, Many Canada goose gosling predator possibilities exist. Most
        likely include northern harrier, Cooper's hawk, red-shouldered hawk,
        red-tailed hawk, merlin, peregrine falcon, western gull, coyote, gray
        fox, ringtail, raccoon, long-tailed weasel, mink, striped skunk, river
        otter, mountain lion, bobcat, domestic/feral dog, domestic/feral cat,
        human. There are other less likely candidates such as osprey that take
        birds rarely but it has been documented and golden eagles that would
        not be commonly expected to be foraging at caspar pond. Jack Booth
        On May 9, 2005, at 9:07 PM, Jessica Morton wrote:

        > Greetings -
        > While we're sharing baby stories, I have a question: does anyone have
        > thoughts/information about the possible predators of two of the
        > Canada goslings at Caspar Pond last week? I spotted 3 downy goslings
        > swimming with parents Thursday, all 3 feeding in the grass between
        > the adults the day before, and yet Saturday, Sunday and today, just
        > one little guy. Ideas, please?
        > --

        > Gratitude is the memory of the heart; therefore forget not to say
        > often,
        > I have all I ever enjoyed.
        > ----Lydia Child

        > email to these addresses:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jack Booth
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10 10:20 AM
          I also forgot to mention opposum, bullfrog, and large-mouth bass. Jack

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11 7:17 AM
            What about turtles? do we have those in ponds on the coast?

            On May 10, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Jack Booth wrote:

            > I also forgot to mention opposum, bullfrog, and large-mouth bass. Jack
            > On May 10, 2005, at 9:32 AM, B. Acord wrote:
            >
            > > Great list Jack. Also Common Ravens and American Crows. Corvids,
            > > especially Ravens, will team up on the adults to split there
            > attention
            > > till one of the goslings is vulnerable.
            > >
            > > ~Brian
            > > --
            > > ******************************************************
            > > Brian Acord
            > > Graduate Research Assistant
            > > Humboldt State University, Wildlife
            > > Arcata, Humboldt County, California
            > > humbirds@...
            > > 707-826-3581
            > email to these addresses:
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > �
            > �
            > Service.

          • Feather Forestwalker
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11 9:09 AM
              Kate Marianchild wrote:

              >What about turtles? do we have those in ponds on the coast?

              Yes, but not American Crows - at least, not very regularly; this seems
              to be the one area on the California coast where this species is not
              seen with much regularity. . .Common Ravens are more than likely the
              culprit, if we're looking at avian predators - but so are Northern
              Harriers, Red-shouldered Hawks and, possibly, Cooper's Hawks - Barn and
              Great-horned Owls come to mind......I haven't seen all of Jack's list -
              mammals would include those I *do* see listed, as well as raccoons, gray
              foxes, domestic cats, bobcats, etc.

              The turtles are likely to be a species of western pond turtle, however,
              so these are too small to eat gosling; I bet you're thinking of snapping
              turtles - and I am not sure whether we have these as a native species on
              the coast. Is possible that there are some introduced ones, however, and
              at the Caspar Pond, *anything* is possible in that regard..

              :)

              Feather

              On May 10, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Jack Booth wrote:

              >I also forgot to mention opposum, bullfrog, and large-mouth bass. Jack
              > On May 10, 2005, at 9:32 AM, B. Acord wrote:
              >
              > > Great list Jack. Also Common Ravens and American Crows. Corvids,
              > > especially Ravens, will team up on the adults to split there
              >attention
              > > till one of the goslings is vulnerable.
              > >
              > > ~Brian
              > > --
              > > ******************************************************
              > > Brian Acord
              > > Graduate Research Assistant
              > > Humboldt State University, Wildlife
              > > Arcata, Humboldt County, California
              > > humbirds@...
              > > 707-826-3581

            • Jack Booth
              Message 6 of 6 , May 11 9:59 AM
                I left out owls because their feeding habitats put out at a time when
                the goslings would be out of sight under mom. Great horned owls could
                kill a large goose easily but my guess is that it is unusual (anybody
                have more info). I do know that they occasionally kill wild turkeys off
                their roost. Great horned owls do kill striped skunks commonly. Jack