Re: [Mendobirds] I drive by that lake in caspar, all the time, no carcara ~

  • Feather Forestwalker
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2005
      Hi, Lisa,

      Get yourself a decent field guide. I highly recommend National
      Geographic's Field Guide to the Birds of North America and of course,
      the Sibley's is good, too.

      Caracara's are mainly southwestern US birds (and Mexican), closely
      related to hawks on one side of their genes, and New World vultures on
      the other. They are featured on the Mexican flag as the "Mexican Eagle,"
      and are somewhat considered to be "semi-" eagle like.

      They are a magnificent-looking bird, and I haven't yet seen either of
      the two (is it the same bird? Could be) that were sighted here; one last
      fall up near a deer carcass on Highway One near Westport, the other just
      last week at Caspar pond. Would have loved to have seen that one, to be
      sure! Would have been a wonderful addition to my lifelist.

      *Chuckling at African reference* No, they are not an African species.

      Take care,

      Feather