I drive by that lake in caspar, all the time, no carcara ~

  • zenzoolittle
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2005
      Hi there,

      I live in Fort Bragg, go to albion quite often.
      on my way I LOOK AND LOOK for this bird Carcara, nothing yet.

      Where is this bird supposed to be? Africa? Australia?

      It does seem like a bit OFF COURSE IF it is there.

      Cheers, Lisa C.

      (I hope this link is O.K. to advertise here)
      I just created a yahoo group LAST NIGHT!
      for people in this area, and as this is "MENDO"birds,
      I suspect there are a lot of local folks here.
      Please have a look!

      this gruop will be like an "on line swap shop" post your unwanted
      household items/yard items/in the groups board, and SOMEONE will need
      them, and take them ! If your LOOKING for an item post that your
      needing it! and someone will give it to you for free.
      NO MONEY NEEDED HERE! IT IS A FREE FREE FREE/OR TRADE TRADE TRADE!!!

      and at this moment I am the ONLY member!
      THANK YOU & I'll keep lookin' for that bird!

      Cheers, Lisa C
      wildlife videographer.
    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2005
        Hi, Lisa,

        Get yourself a decent field guide. I highly recommend National
        Geographic's Field Guide to the Birds of North America and of course,
        the Sibley's is good, too.

        Caracara's are mainly southwestern US birds (and Mexican), closely
        related to hawks on one side of their genes, and New World vultures on
        the other. They are featured on the Mexican flag as the "Mexican Eagle,"
        and are somewhat considered to be "semi-" eagle like.

        They are a magnificent-looking bird, and I haven't yet seen either of
        the two (is it the same bird? Could be) that were sighted here; one last
        fall up near a deer carcass on Highway One near Westport, the other just
        last week at Caspar pond. Would have loved to have seen that one, to be
        sure! Would have been a wonderful addition to my lifelist.

        *Chuckling at African reference* No, they are not an African species.

        Take care,

        Feather