Crested Caracara (negative report #2)

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2005
      Friday May 6, 2005 - To all Mendocino county birders who had hopes of
      adding this species to your list ... you are out of luck. Probably the
      same bird was seen at Point Reyes peninsula (see below message from the
      Northern Calif. birdbox) on May 4th ... two days after it was observed near
      Caspar MEN. If we are lucky, maybe it will venture north again this next
      fall. I believe the Calif. Bird Review Committee is still in deliberation
      as to whether this a bird of natural origin in California...however, I hear
      rumors that the species will probably be added to the official California
      Bird List in the near future.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center