Least Bittern-Lake County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2001
      This evening at about 5:30 PM I found a LEAST BITTERN at the Kelsey Creek outlet in Clear Lake State Park. Go to the north end of the boat launching parking area and look for the one Monterey Pine. Behind this tree is a fairly well worn path that will take you through the thick riparian forest and out through some tules to the "forming" mudflats. You will need wading boots at this point. The bird flew into the tules that are along the south side of this area and then across and to the tule patch that is on the north side. Shortly after the bird flew to the lake and disappeared around another patch of tules.
      This is only the 3rd documented record for the county and the 1st since 08-02-1988.

      Jerry White