Blue Grouse

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2005
      Wednesday 4 May 2005 - I had the fortune to go out onto Mendocino Redwood
      Company lands southwest of Philo. During the morning we heard probably
      20 to 30 male blue grouse hooting. My sense from speaking with MRC
      personnel is that the wild hog population really crashed about 10 years
      ago... and the Blue Grouse numbers have apparently (casual observations ...
      no actual transects or counts) increased during this last decade. My
      theory is that after heavy timber harvesting in the county during the
      1950's and 60's that the blue grouse population crashed ... and was
      suppressed until the habitat began to recover. In combination with this,
      I believe that the wild hogs predated nests quite heavily (since grouse
      are ground nesters) in areas that had high wild feral pig
      populations. Now that both the pig population is way down and the forests
      are recovering I believe that blue grouse population in the west and
      southern part of Mendocino County are bouncing back. In recent years I
      have had several reports of single grouse in very out-of-character places
      ... which I think represents young individuals expanding or emigrating from
      their "traditional "home population" area.

      I also just learned of Blue Grouse in the extreme SE portion of Mendocino
      County ... east of the Russian River and almost to the Sonoma County line.

      Happy birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center