The Big Sit, Oct 2000

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2001
      Well, the long-awaited results of the 2000 Big Sit have finally
      arrived from the Big Sit Headquarters Building in New Haven, CT, and once
      again the Twitch Whiffers (George Chaniot, Chuck Vaughn, Barbara Dolan,
      Matthew Matthiessen, and Vishnu) of Lake Mendocino, CA placed high. This
      year we we took 5th place in The Whole Wide World. We were pushed from our
      bronze medal position of 1999 by the Surf Scopers of Milford, CT, who
      surged ahead 10 species, and by the entry of some Dutch dike sitters.
      The world's top ten Sit Sites are listed below with rank, 2000
      species total, and (1999 species total):

      1. 122 (112) Elfin Forest, Los Osos, SLO, CA
      2. 101 (---) Westplaat, Zuid-Holland-Rotterdam, Netherlands
      3. 91 (80) Milford Point, Milford, CT
      4. 90 (101) San Joachin Wildlife Sanctuary, ORA, CA
      5. 81 (80) Lake Mendocino, MEN, CA
      6. 80 (65) Lighthouse Point Park, New Haven, CT
      7. 76 (---) Noord-Holland, Netherlands
      8. 75 (38) Kiptopeke State Park, VA
      9. 69 (69) Bolsa Chica, ORA, CA
      10. 69 (69) White Memorial Foundation, Litchfield, CT

      The next Big Sit is scheduled for Sunday, 14 Oct, 2001. Mark your
      calendars. The Twitch Whiffers have been using a covered picnic table at
      the Mesa Day Use Area. This area has broad views of the south end of the
      lake and its shores, nearby trees, and scoping views of the Mayacamas
      ridge, the east side of the lake, and Black Bart Trail. Is there some
      costal site in Mendocino County that could combine fresh water, salt water,
      wooded, and open areas? What about Lake County... Anderson Marsh? Kelsey
      Creek?
      And it's not too early to start planning the menu...

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA