Woops

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Woops, I guess I claimed too much credit. I'm only a godparent.

      Here's what Bob Keiffer has to say about the nest calling:

      "My guess is that the calling by the one adult was essentially
      "talking" to the newly hatched chicks.  this is an important "imprint"
      time for the youngsters.    By raising gamebirds all of my life I have
      learned that when young chickens hatch under a setting chicken hen that
      life is just fine upon hatching.   Once the chicks are dried off and
      all hatched (usually about a 24 hour period) the chicks then are led
      away from the nest by the brood mother.   Now if you are hatching
      gamebirds such as pheasants, wild ducks, quail, etc. under a bantam
      chicken hen one must take precautions.   The chicks MUST be locked up
      with the hen for about 24 hours after hatching before you turn them
      into a brood pen.   If you don't the young chicks will run out from the
      nest and away from the "mother" hen and die of hypothermia.
      It takes that 24 hours for the gamebird chicks to "learn" the mothers
      language and stick with the brood hen.   This is not a problem if the
      biological gamebird hen hatches the biological young ... apparently
      they already instinctively know the language of their own species.
      Also, hatching bird eggs actually begin to "chirp" before they are
      hatched.   Even when the shell is just beginning to be pipped, the
      youngster can be heard chirping inside the shell.   I am sure that the
      young chick can hear the mother during this time also.  So I believe
      that imprinting actually begins BEFORE the chick is hatched.  The brood
      mother definitely knows when this is happening also."