Ukiah Hooded Oriole Check

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 -- This morning I searched some of the _Washingtonia_ fan
      palms in Ukiah for HOODED ORIOLES while scouting for an upcoming Big Day.
      I found a number of orioles:

      Pomo Circle (the bend in Pomo Drive): one yellow, 1st-summer male
      singing at mid level in the palm. Chased off another oriole sp.

      501 Sherry Drive: none seen in 16 minutes. Workman claims they have
      been around.

      512 Empire Drive: 1 bright orange, adult male singing in the
      hanging fronds. Over 15 minutes this bird ranged about a block to the NE
      and NW.

      398 Empire Drive: 1 bright orange, adult male sitting on wires near
      the palm. Possibly the same bird as above.

      Some other sightings, mostly of Big Day interest:
      Coyote Dam: Rock Wren singing at marker 10 on dam. Greater
      White-fronted Goose still hanging out with two Greylags near boat launch.
      Pomo A: small group of Greater Scaup with one Lesser Scaup.
      Possible Cackling Goose at Miti Camp scoped across the water. Clark's
      Grebe.
      Potter Valley: American Dipper at Old Bridge: 08:30, no; 12:45,
      yes. Swainson's Thrush singing between the bridges (earliest record ever).
      2 Lewis's Woodpeckers in dead tree north of Burris Lane. Tricolored
      Blackbirds in vineyard at end of Burris.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA