Lake County Big Day Update

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2005
      Bryan and I after discussing the big day in detail have decided to adjust the final number to 150 (see discussion below).
      We traveled 266 miles by car. Walked maybe a mile and birded about 19 hours from about 2:00 AM till 9 PM.

      Both of us saw 143 of the species (shared total). There were 7 birds not seen by one or the other of us (unshared total).

      There were one species and another bird in a species group recorded on the day that were not included on my original post.These were Pileated Woodpecker and Selasphorus sp. Both recorded by me only (one heard and one seen).
      Bryan remembers clearly me bringing both of these birds up in extensive conversations on the day of the count.
      Both were overlooked at the end of the day because of extreme fatigue. I woke up this morning (after 2 nights good sleep) and remembered clearly that I had heard a Pileated Woodpecker on Diener Drive on count day. At the time I did not have Bryan record it (he was putting all of our birds on a digital recorder). My thinking was that we would find another one that both of us would see or hear and I had a slight amount of doubt because the bird was at some distance. As the day progressed I heard maybe 3 or 4 flickers calling (one at a good distance) and realized that there was no doubt that my bird was a Pileated. At that time I decided to put my bird on the list at the end of the day if we didn't find another one (we still had a good stakeout location at Clear Lake State Park).
      The other bird was somewhat similar circumstances with some twists. I put a selas. sp. I saw at Riviera West "in the bank" on that day thinking we would see others. I saw this bird in binocular view as it flew over my head and away from me. It showed a great deal of rufous color on the sides and it appeared to be also on the back (in fact I believe that it was a male rufous but the look was brief). At that very moment I was in the middle of a conversation with a friendly property owner. Also right after I saw it Bryan called that he had just seen a Peregrine Falcon so I ran to his location (while excusing myself from my new found friend).By the end of the day I had forgotten about that sighting. At least I remembered about that starting yesterday.

      I feel both of these birds should be on our Big Day List.

      I apologize for my premature post of yesterday. Jerry White