Great-Tailed Grackle at Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant

  • Austin Booth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2005
      I spent an hour at the Sewage Treatment Ponds today and had pretty
      good luck. The best bird was a male Great-Tailed Grackle. It looked
      like a large black bird with yellow eyes, a long bill and a long tail.
      Overall it was very long and slender. In flight the long tail almost
      looked as though it was sideways. When I first arrived I saw a flock
      of about 6-8 Chipping Sparrows between those two small ponds as you
      are walking out to the 3 big ones. Right when I got to the first big
      pond a Green Heron flew right by me. All the usual ducks were
      present. I know a Western Grebe is not unusual but its the first time
      I've seen one at the treatment plant. There was a mixed flock of
      about 15 Western and Least Sandpipers in the north pond on a small mud
      bank. Then as I was leaving I saw a Merlin perched on a sign just
      outside the gate. I was very satisfied with my hour of birding today.

      Austin Booth
      Ukiah