Lake County Big Day

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2005
      Because of the poor weather forecasts for today we decided to change our Big Day to yesterday, Friday April 22nd. Unfortunately Matthew Mathiessen and Dave Woodward were not able to participate. Thanks are due them for their support and understanding of the necessity for that change.

      Bryan McIntosh and I forged ahead and ended up having a very successful day. We were able to record 148 species on the day which is 7 species above the previous Big Day Team record set in 2000. This is also one above the highest number of birds found on a single day in the county (147 on a previous Christmas Bird Count).

      We would like to add to that one day total if possible. If there were other birders out yesterday let me know what you recorded. Some of the "easier" birds we missed that others may have seen were: Snowy Egret, Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup, Bald Eagle, Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus sp.), Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, and Olive-sided Flycatcher.

      The first bird of the day for us was a Northern Saw-whet Owl near Boggs Lake at about 2:30 AM. The last bird for the day was a Sora on Eickhoff Road northwest of Lakeport at about 9:00 PM. Thanks to Dave Woodward for discovering this very good rail spot. Highlights on the day included a Northern Harrier flying over Soda Bay Road (a first Spring Count record), a Townsend's Solitaire on Cobb, 2 Common Moorhen's (one heard at Adobe Reservoir and one seen at Lakeside County Park), and a Rufous-crowned Sparrow at Verna Way, Kono Tayee (significant because it was the 142nd bird of the day).

      Jerry White and Bryan McIntosh