USTP, 16 April

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2005
      Sat, 16 Apr 2005 -- This morning Chuck Vaughn and I birded the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant and some other locations in the Ukiah area. At USTP we
      found a single SOLITARY SANDPIPER on the small sludge drying pond on the
      left as you go in. It was still there when we returned on our way out.
      There were seven BONAPARTE'S GULLS on the north percolation pond, unusual
      for this location.
      We looked for Hooded Orioles at Pomo Circle and 501 Sherry St. ,
      but did not see any. A worker at Sherry said he had seen them there
      yesterday.
      We also drove up Low Gap Road and heard two BLUE GROUSE booming at
      the sharp left turn about 1/2 mile beyond the second cattle guard. On the
      way down we ran into a wave of warbler activity in some leafing-out Black
      Oaks which included a number of singing TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS and at least
      one singing HERMIT WARBLER. This is the earliest record ever for Hermit
      Warbler in this area.
      Back in Potter Valley at the end of Burris Lane TRICOLORED
      BLACKBIRDS were in evidence in the vineyards and around the hidden pond to
      the ENE, and a group of about 10 males were chorusing like a bag-o'-cats in
      an oak tree in the vineyard. A LEWIS'S WOODPECKER was hawking from the dead
      oak to the NNW, and last of all in my yard I saw my first GREEN HERON of
      the year.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA