Phainopepla in Potter Valley

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9 10:44 AM
      Sat, 09 Apr 2005 -- At 10:30 this morning there was a female PHAINOPEPLA in
      my yard in Potter Valley for several minutes. It flew off to the north over
      the vineyard pond and beyond, and I have not been able to relocate it.
      Yardbird #164

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2009
        Sun, 25 Oct 2009 -- At 12:12 p.m. today Paul Hawks found a male PHAINOPEPLA
        on Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was in some small oaks along the lane
        about 100 feet west of mailbox 12000. This is in the level section along
        the vineyard and beyond the barn. He saw it fly off to the north to an oak
        in the vineyard and return to the same tree along the road.
        I ran in to Paul shortly afterwards and went back to look for it. I
        refound it easily at about 12:35 in the same tree. It was making the
        characteristic, upward-inflected call note repeatedly, which led me right to
        it. While I was watching, it flew south across the lower pasture and into
        the oaks along the creek, where I lost it. I looked again about 1:30 p.m.
        and scoped the trees to the south to no avail. Perhaps someone with better
        hearing could pick it up at that distance.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA