Etsel Ridge (June 30 - July 1)

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2001
      Greetings Mendo Birders, here are the highlights from my weekend birding
      trip up Etsel Ridge on Saturday and down Boadman Ridge on Sunday.

      On my way to Etsel Ridge Sat morning I stopped off at Dos Rios to walk
      the tracks. I parked in the railroad yard just north of the bridge and
      walked the train tracks further north. There is a tunnel about a
      quarter mile north of the rail yard and there was one CANYON WREN
      singing from the wooden beams at the southern entrance to this tunnel.
      There were two more CANYON WRENS about two hundred yards north of the
      bridge on the west side of the river (one was possibly the same bird
      that was at the southern end of the tunnel). In the same general area
      were a group of four ROCK WRENS and a RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW. There was
      another RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW just upstream from the junction of Hwy
      162 and the Dos Rios road.

      My first stop on Etsel Ridge was Grizzly Flat. There were quite a few
      NASHVILLE WARBLERS but only one HERMIT WARBLER present. Also seen were
      MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE and DUSKY FLYCATCHER.

      Driving along Etsel Ridge I saw only one TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE but quite
      a few CASSIN'S FINCHESI . At the woodpecker site between M1/M61
      junction and Spruce Grove were three WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS and one
      RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER (ruber).

      Spruce Grove yielded DUSKY and HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHERS. There were also
      two RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS (daggetti), two HERMIT WARBLERS, one
      GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE, and several CASSIN'S FINCHES and MOUNTAIN
      CHICKADEES.

      Saturday night I camped in Spruce Grove and had one very cooperative
      NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL and one very uncooperative FLAMMULATED OWL. The
      saw-whet seemed to be particularly fond of my whistling ability and
      several times flew in to within 15 feet of where I was standing. The
      flam, on the other hand, remained in the distance except for once flying
      by my head and very briefly perching for a quick view.

      Sunday morning as I descended Boardman Ridge I stopped at the spot
      where George Chaniot, Chuck Vaughn, and I heard Black-chinned Sparrows
      two weeks earlier. This time I heard only two BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS
      but one of them graced me with very good looks and a few photos.

      Good Birding Ya'll
      Matthew Matthiessen