Tufted Duck at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2005
      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 -- This morning there was an adult male TUFTED DUCK in the
      north end of Lake Mendocino. It was in the flock of about 200 scaup and
      grebes in the middle of the lake between Pomo C and the Mesa. I did not
      recognize it from the Pomo area, but the light was favorable from the end
      of the mesa, and its black back jumped out. I don't think there has been a
      report from Lake Mendocino since Jan 23. Has it been here all along?

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2010
        Thu, 23 Dec 2010 -- This morning at about 9:00 Jerry White found a male
        TUFTED DUCK at the north end of Lake Mendocino. It was hanging out with
        Greater Scaups near the north boat launch. When I last saw it, it was
        moving up into the inlet with a small group of scaup, and I was able to look
        down on it from one of the pullouts on Route 20. It's a pretty typical male
        but with a few dusky feathers retained in the white sides.
        That's 2010 #310 for Jerry. Does anyone know of a Red-naped Sapsucker?

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • Paul and Betty Hawks
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
          Saturday, January 1. This afternoon, about 4:30, I saw a group of 36 ducks
          at the Lake Mendocino outlet. The road to Bushay Campground is now open, so
          the viewing was close up. Thirty-four of the ducks appeared to be Greater
          Scaups. One was a male Ring-necked Duck. And one was a male Tufted Duck!
          It was exciting for me to see the duck at such close range.

          Paul Hawks