E. Phoebe/Lake County

  • Dave Woodward
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      Yesterday morning 3/27 near 9am Mary Beth Woodward and I found an
      Eastern Phoebe in High Valley. During most of our observation the
      bird was flycatching from barbed wire fences. The phoebe had a
      mostly black head, a white throat, gray back, black tail, faint
      white wing-bars and a pale yellow belly.
      To get to the location take High Valley Rd. north from Hwy 20 in
      Clear Lake Oaks. Go up the hill and down into the valley, pass the
      windmill and make the 90 degree turn to the north. Drive just over a
      mile to the second 90 degree turn in the road. That is at the
      entrance to High Valley Ranch, which is marked with a sign. The
      phoebe was first observed on the barbed wire fence on the west side
      of High Valley road across from the entrance to High Valley Ranch.
      Later it flew about 250 yds south and worked from the barbed wire
      fence that is about 30 yds east of the white wooden rail fence that
      borders High Valley Ranch.
      After we left the valley to alert other birders we were not able
      to relocate the bird with a couple of hours of searching, however I
      did take some photos that confirmed the details described above.
      Three Yellow-billed Magpies showed up near the Five Star Fish Farm
      sign in High Valley near noon.
      Dave Woodward