Lake County Big Day

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2005
      On Saturday April 23rd Dave Woodward, Bryan McIntosh, Matthew Mathiessen and I will be doing a Lake County Big Day. This is being done in association with the Heron Festival as a fundraiser.

      On that calendar day we will be owling in the early morning, and during daylight hours we will be covering the Highland Springs area, parts of Big Valley, parts of the Cobb Mt. area and circling the Lake. Our species list could be from the 120's to the 140's depending on the weather and other factors. The all time record for a Big Day Team is 141 set in 2000. Our goal of course is to best that number.

      Additionally on that day we (along with other interested birders) would like to establish a new one day record for the county. That record stands at 147 and was done on a Christmas Bird Count. To that end we encourage all other interested birders; either as participants on Heron Festival trips, as other organized teams, or as individuals to get out and bird that day and keep a list of what you record. Send your list to my email address or to me at PO Box 113 Kelseyville CA. 95451. We will add any species not recorded by the Team to come up with a one day total.

      The whole county is the playing field. As you can see by my brief description of our route a great deal of the county is not covered at all. Most of the northern Mts..,Lake Pillsbury, Indian Valley Reservoir, the Middletown area and many other locations around the county are not in the Big Day Teams "geographic range". However bird wherever you would like as overlap is not an issue on that day. Best of luck and let us all hope for good weather. Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2005
        Because of the poor weather forecasts for today we decided to change our Big Day to yesterday, Friday April 22nd. Unfortunately Matthew Mathiessen and Dave Woodward were not able to participate. Thanks are due them for their support and understanding of the necessity for that change.

        Bryan McIntosh and I forged ahead and ended up having a very successful day. We were able to record 148 species on the day which is 7 species above the previous Big Day Team record set in 2000. This is also one above the highest number of birds found on a single day in the county (147 on a previous Christmas Bird Count).

        We would like to add to that one day total if possible. If there were other birders out yesterday let me know what you recorded. Some of the "easier" birds we missed that others may have seen were: Snowy Egret, Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup, Bald Eagle, Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus sp.), Downy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, and Olive-sided Flycatcher.

        The first bird of the day for us was a Northern Saw-whet Owl near Boggs Lake at about 2:30 AM. The last bird for the day was a Sora on Eickhoff Road northwest of Lakeport at about 9:00 PM. Thanks to Dave Woodward for discovering this very good rail spot. Highlights on the day included a Northern Harrier flying over Soda Bay Road (a first Spring Count record), a Townsend's Solitaire on Cobb, 2 Common Moorhen's (one heard at Adobe Reservoir and one seen at Lakeside County Park), and a Rufous-crowned Sparrow at Verna Way, Kono Tayee (significant because it was the 142nd bird of the day).

        Jerry White and Bryan McIntosh