A few birds here and there

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2005
      Sightings last weekend in Mendocino County:

      ROSS'S GOOSE AND BRANT: One of each still at Caspar on
      19 March.

      GLAUCOUS GULL: What looked like a 2nd-cycle immature
      was on the jetty at Fort Bragg on 19 March, but I saw
      it only briefly from a whale tour boat and am not
      certain of its identity. Couldn't relocate it or
      anything resembling it later in the day at the end of
      Ocean View Drive.

      Recent sightings in Lake County:

      CANVASBACK and GREATER SCAUP: One male of each still
      at Hidden Valley Lake Wastewater Treatment Plant on 24
      March.

      COMMON LOON: Two in Clearlake Park on 22 March.

      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: Two first-cycle immatures at
      Clearlake on 22 March (plus a half dozen or so
      THAYER'S GULLS).

      HORNED GREBE: Four (identified from photos) a few
      miles south of Lucerne on 13 March.

      WOOD DUCK: 10 at Detert Reservoir on 6 March, the only
      time I've seen them there (in the past 6 months).

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County