Godwit Days 2005 Trips ---- filling up!

  • Robert Hewitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      Dear Birders and Nature Lovers,

      I just thought our local folks would like to hear how Godwit Days is going.
      The media buzz is just starting with news articles in the Times Standard,
      the Spirit of the North Coast running on TV, and Keet, KHum and KHSU ready
      with on air promotions of the event. So far we have 130 people already
      registered and I think we are still four weeks out. As such some trips are
      sold out already and others only have a few spots left. I thought I would
      pass this information on so locals can get in on things they might want too
      before finding out on Friday Night (April 15th) that there is not much left
      available - not that you can't register then - just that we'd love to get
      you in earlier.

      So far both Pelagic Trips are sold out and several of the Indian Island Boat
      trips (that only seat five) are full as well. The small passenger boat from
      Hum Boats edges you up close to the Indian Island Egret Rookery, as well as
      getting close to other birds on the water. It runs very quietly so often
      allows you to get near to the wildlife. We offer several of these 2 hour
      excursions, so there are places latter on in the weekend that are still
      open.

      The two most popular trips this year were Dave Fix's and Jude Power's "Best
      Birding Spots in Central Coastal Humboldt" on Saturday which has maxed-out.
      As well as Alan Barron's "Del Norte Tufted Puffin" trip on Sunday which is
      also full. The two Big Day Bus Trips Saturday (Kerry Ross) and Sunday (C.J.
      Ralph and Ken Able) have space still for both days. They also offer a great
      all-day birding experience, it costs a little more as we pay for the City
      Buses, but lunch is provided and I just love the fact that for one weekend
      you can ride on the "Bird Route." The current Big Day record of 129 species
      (7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) is not to be sniffed at either.

      "Nighttime Owls" on Friday is always popular and it has just 3 spots left,
      the scouting trip Thursday before only has one spot left. These nighttime
      activities are exciting and full of anticipation however one can come up
      short sometimes especially due to wind or rain. The owl experience I love
      to promote is the daytime "mousing" with the biologists from Green Diamond
      (formerly Simpson) Resource Company. We still have space on the Saturday
      trip, and we may add to the Sunday trip once the last spot is taken. No
      guarantees in birding, but this is a pretty reliable trip with great
      photographic opportunities.

      Pablo's High Elevation trip has one spot left, as does the South Fork
      Trinity trip with Atlas author John Hunter. Only one Murrelet Spot for dawn
      with Steve Tucker on Sunday but plenty of spaces are available Saturday.
      Brit O'Brien leads a trip I like that goes inland, the "Grouse trip with
      Cabin overnight" in Willow Creek. They still have bed space at the Cabin
      which overlooks the Trinity River from where they head to Burnt Ranch for a
      morning grouse search up Hennesey Ridge Road.

      All details are at the web site www.godwitdays.com
      <http://www.godwitdays.com/> , in the NC Journal publication at newsstands,
      and by calling 1-800 908-WING.

      Yours Rob

      P.S. Blue Jay still in Redwood Valley March 22nd.

      Robert W. Hewitt

      Wildlife Biologist - LBJ Enterprises

      Eureka, California

      (w) 707-442-0339, (cell) 707-845-3189, (fax) 707-269-0632

      Chairman, Godwit Days Steering Committee

      www.godwitdays.com

      April 15-17, 2005

      Keynote Speaker: Ken Able