weird one

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2005
      Mendobirders,

      I thought about this alot but finally decided to post this message. On
      March 16, 2005 at 1:30 p.m. I was at the entrance to Manchester State Park
      Campground, and coming from the south of there on private ranch property I
      heard what sounded to me like a singing Cactus Wren. The loud, low-pitched
      "Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku-Ku" struck me as very strange
      and sounded to me just like a Cactus Wren. I am pretty familiar with
      Cactus Wren song, but living in Humboldt I do not hear them on any regular
      basis. Considering how bizarre this would be I am not willing to claim
      this one as a first county (Northern California?) record, but rather want
      to say "heads-up" to anyone birding around there. It was off in the
      distance and I scanned with my binos and was unable to see anything. It
      was also a little windy so it was difficult to get an exact direction and
      the sound kinda came and went. Any ideas on possible sound-alikes would be
      appreciated. I should have posted this sooner.

      Wondering,

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata, CA