Mute Swan history

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2005
      16 march 2005 - I have tracked down some of the history of Mute Swans
      around Fort Bragg, thanks to some contact info supplied by several (thanks
      especially to Feather Forestwalker).

      Albert Warmerdam of Fort Bragg purchased a pair of Mute Swans to have on
      the pond at Ocean Lake Mobile Home Park (just above Pudding Creek), and
      this was prior to fourteen years ago (1991) when Dorothy Morandi moved to
      the trailer park. Dorothy recalls the pair nesting and having young at
      least two or three years since she has been there. The progeny would
      apparently frequent Pudding Creek and would sometimes meet their demise
      (illegal hunters, etc.). At one point the original male died (rumor has it
      that a dog killed it). The original female continues to nest every year
      but they are "false" nests, which I interpret as being empty nests or nests
      with unfertile eggs.

      Dorothy tells me that there have been a couple attempts to provide new
      mates (males) for the lone female, but they tend not to stay around and
      sometimes go to Pudding Creek or elsewhere?. The original female
      apparently has always stayed at the mobile home park pond.

      I would still appreciate any specific observation dates for these
      birds. thanks.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center