FW: [nwcalbird] Gyrfalcon

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2005
      Here's the report

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
      ron@...
      707/826-0300
      Cell 707/496-3326
      Fax 826-0540
      www.madriverbio.com
      Mad River Biologists
      920 Samoa Blvd. Suite 210
      Arcata, CA 95521

      -----Original Message-----
      From: redwoods2tiredhal [mailto:2tiredhal@...]
      Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:47 PM
      To: nwcalbird@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [nwcalbird] Gyrfalcon

      On the way back from Fern Canyon today coming out of the hills above the elk
      meadow, I
      saw a falcon soaring ... mostly grey and white. We stopped and got out the
      binoculars. It
      landed in the tiptop of a tree at the back of the meadow behind Rolf's which
      was being
      demolished. The bird appeared all white with yellow legs. With the
      binoculars, a bit of
      black at the eyes, white breast, and grey back of wings.

      Not even close to a kite. Only thing I could come up with was a gyrfalcon -
      white adult. I
      know it's rare for the county but it was dead-on for the pic in Sibley.

      Hal Work

      Yahoo! Groups Links