Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Mar 14, 2005
      Birds seen or missed on Sunday the 13th:

      WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER: I searched for it within a
      radius of 200 yards of the original tree from
      08:25-10:05, but couldn't find it. A HAIRY WOODPECKER
      was pecking most of the time 50-100 yards east of the
      tree and was quite vocal, and I thought I heard a
      DOWNY WOODPECKER a few hundred yards to the west. No
      other woodpeckers present. I shouldn't have waited so
      long to look for it...

      COMMON LOON: Two in pre-alternate molt a few miles
      south of Lucerne.

      HOODED MERGANSER: A male and two females in a pool
      east of the barn on the north side of the Nice-Lucerne
      Cutoff, and another female flying out of the marsh at
      the junction of Nice-Lucerne Cutoff and Lakeshore
      Blvd.

      DUNLIN: Three basic-plumaged birds in a pool west of
      the barn on the north side of the Nice-Lucerne Cutoff
      (5th spring record?).

      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: A first-cycle immature at
      Lucerne.

      At Austin Park, Clearlake, there were only 15 gulls on
      the dock at 14:20. On Saturday the 12th there were no
      gulls at 07:33 and a dozen at 08:00. Couldn't find the
      GLAUCOUS GULL among the gulls on the water. Quite a
      contrast with last weekend when the dock was crowded
      with gulls.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • stevestump