White-throated Swift

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2005
      Today I found White-throated Swifts at the location that John Hunter reported seeing them (on 03-07-05).

      Just prior to 9:10 AM after about an 1 1/2 hour wait I saw two birds fly over. I was standing at milepost 102.98 (Highway 101) at the north end of the South Fork Eel River Bridge.

      Later at the Caspar Pond just off Highway 1 the Ross's Goose and Brant reported by Dave Jensen were both present.

      In the pygmy forest on the Comptche Ukiah Road about 2 to 3 miles from Highway 1 I saw 2 separate flocks of Red Crossbills.

      Jerry White

    • David B
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2011
        07-03-11

        On Sunday 2 White-throated Swifts were seen flying under Hwy 101 at the Benbow undercrossing. At 4:00 P.M.

        Dave Barry
        Santa Rosa
      • Robert Keiffer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
          10 March 2013 - Sunday - This morning at 09:45 AM Ryan Keiffer and I watched
          4White-throated Swifts soaring above Frog Woman Rock, which is the massviely
          large

          basalt rock along the Russian River and Highway 101 ... about 4 miles south of
          Hopland. Also soaring above the rock were numerous violet-green swallows, and
          we
          watched on two occasions a VGSW showing dominance over a swift by chasing it at
          close range. This is despite the WTSW having a slightly larger wingspan than
          the

          swallows. It takes a bit of viewing to finally spot them, and they do their
          twittering chatter occasionally, but it sounds distant and you really have to be
          listening for it.

          The best viewing spot is on the west side of Highway 101, just south of the
          "bridge" that allows the Yorkville Soil to slide underneath Highway 101. This
          is the same stretch

          of Highway 101 that has one of the two north bound lanes closed ... so the
          pullout is just south of that area. The pullout has a pile of rip-rap type
          rocks stacked near it.

          Along the river numerous Tree, Violet-green, and a few Rough-winged Swallows,
          Yellow-rumped Warblers, Black Phoebe, and a Canada Goose up on the side of

          Frog Woman Rock. We did not look for the Peregrines at the nest site today
          ...but suspect they are incubating eggs right now and are probably difficult to
          see 'except at

          nest-exchange time or when the male brings food to the female. Good Birdng.
          Bob Keiffer.

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2013
            Sat, 6 July 2013 -- I saw a White-throated Swift flying just south of Frog Woman Rock, at approximately mm 3.75 on Hwy 101.

            Karen Havlena
            MEN County, Ca

            Sent from my iPhone
          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 2014
              3/20/14 1:30 pm
              Today at the Pioneer Bridge in Potter Valley there were 7 White-throated Swift making a bunch of noise. Steve Stump