Mendocino Audubon Meeting

  • Charlene McAllister
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2005
      Spills, Seabirds, and Restoration Efforts in California

      Join us at March 21 meeting as Steve Hampton of the California Department of
      Fish and Game's Office of Spill Prevention and Response (DFG-OSPR) will
      introduce us to the world of oil spills, seabird conservation issues, and
      seabird restoration efforts. Our journey will begin in California, but
      we'll ride on the wings of shearwaters, murrelets, and grebes to such places
      as Mexico, New Zealand, and the Aleutian Islands. On the way, we'll learn
      about major threats to seabird populations, covering everything from rats
      and cats to tiny bits of plastic garbage. We'll also learn about some
      innovative restoration projects currently underway, offering hope for
      seabirds in an otherwise stormy sea.

      Joint Environmental Group Meeting

      Host: Mendocino Audubon Society

      Monday March 21st Russian Gulch Meeting Room

      6:00 p.m. Pot Luck

      7:00 p.m. Environmental Awards

      7:30 p.m. Program

      Carpooling recommended. For further information call 937-1742 or 964-6362

      Charlene McAllister

      MCAS Program Chair

      Little River, CA

    • Charlene McAllister
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2009
        Reminder-

        Albatross and Penguins:The world through the Eyes of a Seabird

        Monday November 16th 7:00 pm- Fort Bragg Town Hall
        Mendocino Coast Audubon invites you to Join naturalist and popular
        expedition leader, Ted Cheeseman, for a lecture exploring what it is to be a
        seabird in the vast unforgiving desert of the open ocean. How is it that
        albatross can fly 14,000 miles on a single feeding trip to bring home just
        one meal for a chick? How can penguins thrive and raise chicks in the
        world's harshest environments, but cannot survive in mild temperate waters?

        Illustrated with images from worldwide travels with Cheesemans' Ecology
        Safaris, Ted will tell stories of the new insight we have into the lives of
        seabirds through recent science, especially GPS- telemetry. We are only now
        learning about the truly magnificent lives of these penguins and albatross,
        just as they face sharp declines at the hands of industrial fishing and
        climate change. Ted frequently travels across the Southern Ocean to
        Antarctica and to its sub- Antarctic islands, the heart of penguin and
        albatross habitat. It is there that he will take you, on an entertaining and
        educational journey diving with penguins and soaring with albatross, the
        world's greatest mariners.

        Ted's abiding love of penguins and albatross stems from a lifetime of
        guiding travelers to remote seabird breeding colonies. He grew up traveling
        extensively with Cheesemans' Ecology Safaris, and began studying and
        photographing wildlife very early. Just as Ted completed a master's degree
        in tropical conservation biology at Duke University, the icy grip of the
        Antarctic took hold of Ted's heart and he returned to his home state of
        California to lead and organize expeditions.

        Audubon meetings are open to the public at no charge, however a donation to
        cover costs of these programs is always welcome. For further information
        call 937-4463 or go to www.mendocinocoastaudubon.org
        <http://www.mendocinocoastaudubon.org/> .