White-throated Swifts

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2005
      Mendo birders,

      On 3-7-05 I saw at least 4 White-throated Swifts (along with some
      Violet-green Swallows) flying beneath and exploring potential nest sites
      under the north end of the Hwy. 101 bridge over the South Fork Eel River
      just a few miles south of the Humboldt County line. The north end of this
      long bridge is at milepost 103 on Hwy. 101.

      A few miles north in Humboldt County on the same day I had 7-10
      White-throated Swifts along with Violet-green Swallows exploring the Wagner
      Bridge.

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
      1655 Heindon Road
      Arcata, CA 95521
      707-822-7201 (phone)
      707-822-8136 (fax)
      John_E_Hunter@...
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
        Tue, 04 Jun 2013 -- This morning Park Steiner, Scott Harris, and I saw at
        least six WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at the Pioneer Crossing Bridge on the Eel
        River north of Potter Valley where we saw them on the 11 May Peregrine
        Audubon field trip. Scott says that he has been seeing them regularly for
        about a month and that they have been nesting in the outer two drain holes
        beneath the north end of the span. Today they were making spectacular low
        passes over the bridge at close range. They tend to be absent for 10-15
        minutes and then appear suddenly like gangbusters.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23, 2014
          Sat, 22 Mar 2014 -- This afternoon around 5 PM I went to the Pioneer Bridge
          over the Eel River N. of Potter Valley to look for the WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS
          reported by Steve Stump on March 20th. They were an easy find. At least 5
          were flying around the bridge the whole period I was there. One was
          fluttering around a drain hole on the underside of the bridge - as were
          Northern Rough-winged Swallows. Last year the swifts apparently nested here
          for the first time, and the prospects look good for this year.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA

          From Route 20 take Potter Valley Road, and follow it until it turns into
          Eastside Road. At Hopper's Corner turn right (N) onto Eel River Road.
          Follow it "over the hill" to the Eel River drainage. Take the right fork at
          the top of the hill and follow it to the bridge.