Glorious Galapagos with Ron LeValley

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 11:34 AM
      The Glorious Galapagos:
      Slideshow and Lecture by Ron LeValley

      Ron LeValley, well-known speaker and senior biologist from Mad River Biologists in Humboldt, has been to the Galapagos Islands off Ecuador 19 times. On Thursday, March 17, he will show slides of the islands and talk about the biology and ecology of the wildlife and the history of the Galapagos archipelago. We will see marine iguanas, Galapagos tortoises, greater flamingos, sea lions, three species of boobies, waves' albatross, a "confusing array of Darwin's finches," sea lions, and more. Please join us on Thursday, March 17 at 7 p.m. at the Grace Hudson Museum in Ukiah (431 S. Main St.). The program is sponsored by Peregrine Audubon and is open to the public.

      When LeValley was a young biology graduate heading to the Galapagos for the first time, he braced himself for disappointment. "I had read about Darwin's experience there, and had a feeling of awe about it. I told myself it just couldn't possibly be as good as I was expecting. Well, guess what? It was way better!"

      Galapagos animals are often described as "tame" because they allow humans to come close. LeValley prefers to describe them as "not cognizant of humans." They simply don't perceive humans as a threat, and apparently hardly notice them. That makes them a photographer's dream!

      One of the best features of the Galapagos is that the islands are fiercely protected. Humans have to STAY ON THE PATH with a guide, so off-path areas are pristine - it looks like no humans have ever been there. In LeValley's nineteen visits he has seen almost no human-caused changes to many of the visitor sites.

      We are lucky to have this well-known biologist share his experience with us once again. Please join us in welcoming him to Ukiah.

      Submitted by Kate Marianchild
      Publicity Chair
      Peregrine Audubon Society
      463-0839