Lake County Williamson's Sapsucker continues, 3-6-2005

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      Birders:

      The male Williamson's Sapsucker continues today at Boggs Mountain
      Demonstration State Forest in Lake County. Directions are at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/message/1197; however, if you are
      driving up from the south on Highway 175, there is no sign when you enter
      the town of Hohberg. Hohberg is north of Cobb Mountain and south of Lock
      Lomond. If you are coming from the south, and you have passed MP 17.64, you
      have missed the turn-off.

      I spent some time walking around the area but did not find the cushion until
      after already passing it. I found it while walking back in the opposite
      direction. Someone had flipped it face down making it easy to pass up. I
      picked up the cushion and leaned it against the trunk and placed a small
      pile of sticks in front of it. The cushion has the words "Carry Comfort"
      printed on it. After finding a few Pygmy Nuthatches and Red Crossbills in
      the area I heard some tapping from the east and after a while I finally got
      my eyes on the male Williamson's Sapsucker working the back side of the
      trunk about 100 feet up.

      From the cushion I walked past a pile of rocks directly east about 50 yards
      to a dirt road that runs in a north-south direction. To the left and west
      of the road is a patch of freshly sprouted forest grass. The Williamson's
      Sapsucker was working a Ponderosa Pine at the east side of the road. In
      front of this pine there is a small group of young Douglas Firs, the tallest
      of which is about 8 feet in height.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County