Re: [nwcalbird] Townsend's Warbler Female at Patrick Point S.P.

  • Matt Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2001
      John, thanks for the input. Two field marks would appear to rule out
      the Black-throated Green Warbler, specifically the clear black "hood"
      (having seen lots of Hooded Warblers in Texas, despite the clear range
      problem, my mind said "Hooded" when the bird first appeared) and the
      black necklace (as opposed to the solid black throat of the
      Black-throated Green). I would also think that the predominantly
      Eastern US range of the Black-throated Green would be a challenge. Are
      there Humbolt County sighting records for Black-throated Greens?

      All that said, it is certainly possible that it was a hybrid (the Hermit
      x Townsend's in Sibley is reasonably close), but I really have no idea
      what range issues come with such hybrids.

      Patrick Point S.P. has the mature Duoglas Fir dominated habitat included
      in the write-up in Warblers of the Americas (Curson, Quinn and Beadle)
      for both Townsend's and Hermit Warblers. The bird I saw did not stop to
      feed on the shrubbery of the Rim Trail. It had much more of a "I'm on
      my way to somewhere else" behavior.

      Again, thanks for the input.

      Matt