Blue Grouse

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
      This morning at 8:50 AM there was a Blue Grouse calling on Low Gap Road west of Ukiah . This was about 3/10ths of a mile past mile marker 15.95 just past a cattle guard. This is an established and known location.

      Somewhat earlier on Potter Valley Road I saw 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, the first of the year for me.

      In Lake County the Eurasian Wigeon was at the north end of Borax Lake. I was not able to locate the Pacific Loon or Glaucous Gull. Jerry White

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2005
        Wednesday 4 May 2005 - I had the fortune to go out onto Mendocino Redwood
        Company lands southwest of Philo. During the morning we heard probably
        20 to 30 male blue grouse hooting. My sense from speaking with MRC
        personnel is that the wild hog population really crashed about 10 years
        ago... and the Blue Grouse numbers have apparently (casual observations ...
        no actual transects or counts) increased during this last decade. My
        theory is that after heavy timber harvesting in the county during the
        1950's and 60's that the blue grouse population crashed ... and was
        suppressed until the habitat began to recover. In combination with this,
        I believe that the wild hogs predated nests quite heavily (since grouse
        are ground nesters) in areas that had high wild feral pig
        populations. Now that both the pig population is way down and the forests
        are recovering I believe that blue grouse population in the west and
        southern part of Mendocino County are bouncing back. In recent years I
        have had several reports of single grouse in very out-of-character places
        ... which I think represents young individuals expanding or emigrating from
        their "traditional "home population" area.

        I also just learned of Blue Grouse in the extreme SE portion of Mendocino
        County ... east of the Russian River and almost to the Sonoma County line.

        Happy birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center