Re: Sapsucker/Lake County

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 11:32 PM
      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 -- Today Chuck Vaughn and I went over to Boggs Mountain
      State Forest in Lake County to look for the WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER found on
      Feb 24 by Darlene Hecomovich and Jeanette Knight. Good directions to the
      site were given by Dave Woodward at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/message/1197
      We arrived in in the late morning in a light drizzle and found the
      Ponderosa Pine with the plastic cushion leaning against it. After we had
      worked the area for about 30 minutes, Chuck found the bird on another
      Ponderosa about 100 yards further south and to the right of the trail. We
      had good looks at close range as it worked at some sets of wells in the
      bark. Dave's description of the bird is accurate in every detail. After it
      moved on, we proped up some branches against the trunk of this tree to mark
      it. Not every Ponderosa in this area appears to have sapsucker wells in the
      bark.
      Afterwards we birded some other locations in Lake County. We found
      PYGMY NUTHATCHES and CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES at Boggs Lake and several
      locations along Harrington Flat Road. At Redbud Park in Clearlake we found
      a first winter GLAUCOUS GULL and a first winter THAYER'S GULL among other
      gulls on nearby piers. There was a male PHAINOPEPLA in the tree with heavy
      mistletoe near the restrooms. We did not find the Tufted Duck at Borax
      Lake, but there was a male EURASIAN WIGEON. On the north shore of Clear
      Lake we scoped from the pullout at milemarker 21.00 just west of Bruner
      Drive. Here we saw six COMMON LOONS and a PACIFIC LOON coming into breeding
      plumage. At the Richardson Lake rice-fields along the Nice-Lucerne Cut-off
      there was another EURASIAN WIGEON among the many dabblers.
      Last stop of the day was at Burris Lane, Potter Valley back in
      Mendocino. Here we saw several distant LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS and a BURROWING
      OWL sunning itself at the mouth of a burrow on the hillside off to the
      southeast.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA